Job title: Assistant Director of Career Development-Career Center
Company: University of Mississippi
Job description: Note for Current UM Employees
Current employees must apply internally via connectU
Definition of Class
This position evaluates the career counseling needs of the University and its students by evaluating resources, designing programs and supervising career services staff who implement the programs as well as works with other departments to improve the function of and services offered by the Career Center. Develops, advertises, implements and coordinates all career outreach programs and events. Serves as the Career Center representative at University events such as orientation and visitation days. Works with faculty and the University community to increase Career Center awareness and visibility. The incumbent exercises discretion and independent judgment.
For full consideration, please provide a comprehensive resume and letter of interest.
Examples of Work Performed
- Supervises career development unit by analyzing current program efficiency, determining new program requirements, and surveying consumers to determine directions for service. Delegates job tasks to staff, conducts staff meetings, provides feedback to staff regarding efficiency and suggestions for improved performance. Collects performance data for assessment of operations, prepares reports and recommends changes in staffing or programming to supervisor.
- Designs and implements programs, which provide career information to University students and community, alumni and surrounding area. Researches currents trends, career needs and programming ideas, and submits proposals for new programs. Advertises new programs to students, community, alumni, and other University units.
- Supervises graduate assistants and practicum students seeking academic credit and professional certification. Stays abreast of professional literature and national and state board certification /licensure requirements and maintains proper certification status. Assigns duties, creates work schedules of para-professionals, and evaluates graduate assistants and practicum students. Prepares progress reports and submits them to appropriate personnel.
- Serves as a liaison between the Career Center and other University units as well as consumers and the general public to communicate information about the services and operations of the career development unit.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates career development staff and provides feedback regarding efficiency and suggestions for improved performance.
- Researches, evaluates and locates career information sources, oversees the resource center, and creates up-to-date information system for staff use.
- Administers and interprets standardized assessment instruments for personal, career, and team building analysis. Evaluates and recommends new assessment instruments and computerized career guidance software to determine applicability to University students and alumni. Develops staff instructional procedures to assist in utilizing computer career guidance software.
- Instructs Career and Life Planning courses. Assists students in choosing majors and developing career plans by utilizing counseling theories and techniques.
- Determines technical support requirements for the unit including equipment and software programs. Reports technical request to Director and collaborates with appropriate for personnel for the procurement of new technology.
- Coordinates departmental presentations and presents informational seminars for classes, social organizations, University staff, and external organizations.
- Maintains statistical data and prepares reports for career development activities.
- Develops, coordinates and implements all advertising and marketing of career services and programs to students. Designs brochures, booklets, and newsletters; works with student media; and offers suggestions for internet promotion strategies to market the services offered by the Career Center.
- Performs similar or related duties as required or assigned.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring department. * Supervises the day-to-day operations of the career development unit, including career counseling, career planning and job search skill development.
- Designs and implements new programs, which provide career information to University student and community, participate in programs provided by the career development unit.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates career development staff, graduate students and practicum students.
- Administers and interprets standardized assessment instruments for career assessment, counseling and exploration.
- Assists students in choosing majors and developing career plans.
- Coordinates and implements all career outreach presentations.
- Develops, coordinates and implements advertising and marketing of career services and programs to the University community.
- Instructs Career and Life Planning courses.
Master’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in student affairs, student personnel, counseling or related field. Experience may not be substituted for the minimum education requirement.
Two (2) years experience related to the above described duties.
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges, to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty, executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary ranges.
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any employment practice, education program, or education activity to all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Job date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:32:28 GMT
Click Here To Apply