- Protect life and property, and maintain a practical, working knowledge of Federal, South Carolina laws and Spartanburg Methodist College policies, rules, and regulations.
- Determine when reasonable suspicion exists to detain a suspect, when probable cause exists to search and arrest and to what degree force and what restraint may be used.
- Ensure that victims and witnesses are informed of their rights and responsibilities as mandated by law, and that they are treated with dignity and respect.
- Perform law enforcement patrol duties that include such things as working rotating shifts, foot patrol, and physically checking doors and addressing suspicious activity.
- Communicate information effectively to faculty, staff, students and other persons in the SMC campus community and gather information, sort, compile and interpret information received.
- Cooperate with other campus officials to implement college policies.
- Initiate and complete verbal, written and computerized reports which include sketches, symbols, mathematical computations and narratives.
- Maintain weapons and equipment in a state of operational readiness.
- Report maintenance concerns or safety hazards using the Maintenance or IT on-line reporting system.
- Respond as quickly as possible to any fire alarms, ensure that fire department has been notified if appropriate, and assist in evacuating any building(s) affected or threatened.
- Respond to any crisis or emergency that occurs, and notify appropriate personnel/offices.
- Supervise any work-study students who are present during the assigned shift.
- Coordinate with other campus safety agencies in the enforcement of laws and ordinances on SMC property.
- Participate in assigned Higher Education Law Enforcement training designed for Campus Safety Police or Campus Security Officers as assigned by the Chief or Operations Lieutenant
- Performs other duties that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the criminal laws of the State of South Carolina and the rules and regulations of Spartanburg Methodist College.
- Ability to pass and maintain certification for First Aid/CPR/AED.
- Ability to solve problems and relate to faculty, staff and students and other community members in a positive and professional manner.
- Recognize the cultural diversity of the campus community and ensure sensitive and equitable treatment of all citizens.
- Knowledge of and skill in utilizing computers, two-way radios, body-worn cameras, and general office machines such as printers, copiers and fax machines.
- Ability to learn and proficiency in the operation and use of personal computers utilizing MS Word, Google, Outlook, CAMS, Slate, E2 Campus, and Agisent.
- Maintain Daily Shift Report (written and/or computerized) of activities occurring during the shift (e.g. accidents, significant incidents) to maintain a record.
- Ability to work any shift.
Working Conditions: Campus Police Officers may be exposed to a variety of environmental and weather conditions as they patrol campus. They may patrol on foot or in a golf cart. The position requires frequent contact with students, faculty, and staff, and cooperation with other campus officials. Special Conditions:
- Armed and uniformed.
- Pass State Law Enforcement (SLED) and SMC pre-employment and personal background check.
- Pass drug testing and remain drug free.
- Maintain yearly training and other requirements to renew Class 1 certification and maintain SLED commission as a campus police officer.
- Possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s license.
Required Physical Abilities:
- Ability to access all areas of the campus, to move around campus to patrol and respond effectively to emergency situations.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person, by telephone, and on the two-way radio system.
- Mobility to stoop, kneel, bend, and reach and lift up to 25 pounds.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate’s degree or completion of two years of college preferred.
- Must be a graduate of the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy and qualify as a Class I Law Enforcement Officer.
Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Rotating 12 Hour Schedule FLSA: Non-exempt About the College: Founded in 1911, Spartanburg Methodist College is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. SMC is growing significantly, adding new programs, and consistently evaluating operations as a result of a campus-wide commitment to innovation and a passion for designing all campus programs to serve its student population intentionally. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees. SMC is committed to its student demographic and believes that global impact is possible through their success. Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff member.