Job title: Customer Service Tax Analyst
Company: State of Indiana
Job description: Work for Indiana
Grow your career with the State of Indiana! With more than 50 executive branch agencies, the State of Indiana is a diverse workforce offering employees stimulating and challenging projects across a broad scope of career opportunities. As a State of Indiana employee, you impact the well-being of Indiana’s communities every day.
At the State of Indiana, we don’t just talk about diversity and inclusion – Our goal is to create a welcoming, accessible, and equitable workplace, with a workforce that is representative of the State of Indiana population. As a proud equal opportunity employer, reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to interview and perform the essential functions of a role.
About the Indiana Department of Revenue:
The Indiana Department of Revenue Customer Service Department is responsible for providing service and support to Indiana Tax paying customers. This is a fabulous opportunity to join a team that has been named an IndyStar Top Workplaces three straight years – 2019, 2020 & 2021, and where we learn, have fun, and are committed to providing Best in Class Customer Service.
The salary for this position starts at $ 29,250.00 per year.
Next Level benefits at the State of Indiana are here! Be sure to review our expanded benefit package offerings below.
About the Job:
A Tax Analyst performs a variety of auditing, control and public assistance duties relative to the payment and collection of various state taxes.
A Day in the Life:
The essential functions of this role are as follows:
- Prepare, conduct, and evaluate training courses for individual and sales tax and with procedural issues.
- Correspond with taxpayers by telephone, in writing, or in person for providing technical tax information, tax law interpretation and procedural information in order to ensure compliance with state and federal laws.
- Provide assistance to taxpayers in person, by phone, or mail by advising, instructing, and furnishing information with respect to taxes collected by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) (sales, withholding, income, county innkeepers, food and beverage, motor corporations, motor fuel and special taxes);
- Audit various Department of Revenue tax returns and contacts taxpayers.
- Compute and issue refunds or delinquency notices.
- Compare state and federal tax returns to ensure accuracy of state return.
- Compute and assess penalty and interest paid on delinquent taxes.
- Establish payment plans for a taxpayer or business.
- Assist lower-level Tax Analysts regarding policy interpretation and procedures.
- Assist supervisor with workload distribution and short-term planning.
- Interpret and apply state and federal tax laws, rules, and regulations in identifying and resolving technical tax problems.
- Collect data or information necessary for the conduct of a public hearing or trial.
- Prepare statistical reports regarding production and output and backlogs.
The job profile is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
What You’ll Need for Success:
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal tax laws, rules and regulations applying to each of the several types of taxes;
- Extensive knowledge of the procedures for properly preparing various tax return forms;
- Considerable knowledge of federal and state laws and legal procedures pertinent to estates and trusts;
- Ability to interpret and apply tax laws and regulations to individual situations;
- Broad knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping;
- Working knowledge of data processing procedures;
- Working knowledge of computers, both technical and word processing;
- Ability to discuss and settle tax problems using various legal resources;
- Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to apply and understand ethics and confidentiality laws.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
This role does not provide direct supervision to direct reports.
Benefits of Employment with the State of Indiana:
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees which includes:
- Three (3) medical plan options (including RX coverage) as well as vision and dental plans
- Wellness program (offers a premium discount for the medical plan and gift cards)
- Health savings account, which includes bi-weekly state contribution
- Flexible work scheduling options, including the potential for hybrid remote work for employees whose work may be performed outside state facilities
- Deferred compensation 457B account (similar to 401k plan) with employer match
- Two (2) fully-funded pension plan options
- A robust, comprehensive program of leave policies covering a variety of employee needs, including but not limited to:
- 150 hours of paid new parent leave
- Up to 15 hours of paid community service leave
- Combined 180 hours of paid vacation, personal, and sick leave time off
- 12 paid holidays, 14 on election years
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Group life insurance
- Referral Bonus program
- Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Free Parking for most positions
- Free LinkedIn Learning access
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Current Employee? Click to apply.
Expected salary: $29250 per year
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Job date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 07:41:30 GMT
Click Here To Apply