Direct and coordinate the activities of owner operators and third party carriers in the performance of freight delivery services. Monitor load readiness for dispatch from the distribution center and coordinate delivery times and instructions with the receiving locations, distribution center and backhaul vendors. Interact with customer employees, contractors/drivers, and personnel at delivery points to assure prompt and efficient movement of freight while maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements governing driver hours of service. Direct the response to interruptions in delivery schedules due to weather, road blockages, equipment breakdown and other unexpected occurrences.
- Monitor status of deliveries in progress and maintain contact with contractors/drivers who are outside their window of delivery. Advise receiving location of drivers ETA. Where feasible, reroute truck in order to maintain on time delivery schedule for down line stops.
- Utilize Company software to enter load progress and delivery data on a real time basis.
- Assist or stand in for the Load Planner as required, including utilizing the dedicated driver list and current available driving hours report to plan loads to be dispatched using the load planner spread sheet.
- Assist or stand in for the Load Planner as required, including matching loads to drivers in conformity with the Companys no-forced dispatch policy. Where loads go unmatched, determine means to incentivize a contractor/driver to take the load.
- Monitor status of contractors/drivers coming in to the facility and due at dispatch window for predetermined load tender time.
- Where loads cannot be assigned to owner operators under contract to Company, assign loads to an approved third party carrier. Prepare routing and delivery instructions for the third party driver and present in-person orientation of third party driver at the time the load is tendered.
- Where breakdowns occur during transit, arrange response by a road repair/towing service. If repowering is required, determine the most expeditious means to dispatch a replacement unit and to facilitate the delivery.
- Maintain communication with the Back Haul Coordinator to assure that back hauls are promptly and efficiently integrated into load plans.
- Prepare and continually update all required reports, including status reports, daily reports, inbound reports, and weather reports.
- Continually monitor and track the location of the trucks and trailers through computerized tracking software.
- Continually monitor trailer operating status, including refrigeration unit temperature settings, actual temperature readings, fuel levels and alarm codes.
- Utilize internet based applications for monitoring, mapping, locating and/or calculating mileage distance or transit times.
- Promote and enhance the Companys relationship and reputation with its corps of owner operators. Remain accessible to the owner operators to answer questions or advise them with regard to specific problems or concerns.
- Promptly and professionally respond to all inquiries and directives from customer representatives.
- Accurately and timely complete all reports and forms required by the Company or its customers.
- Act professionally and ethically at all times.
- Keep immediate work area safe, clean and organized at all times.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 to 3 years of experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience within the distribution and/or transportation industry.
- Ability to learn the service area and delivery locations to coordinate drivers deliveries.
- Knowledge of distribution and transportation industry.
- Experience using computerized routing software.
- Excellent organization skills, with the ability to multitask.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Strong customer orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to company values.
- Computer proficiency.
Sedentary office environment. Exerts up to 25 lbs. of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work in an office, but may be required to spend a portion of the time in a warehouse, or outdoor trailer yard.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $38,000.00 – $40,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Night shift
Work Location: One location