Job title: EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I
Company: Dorchester County
Job description: Description
The purpose of the class is to learn and operate light to medium equipment and trucks to support various Public Works operations including, but not limited to, the maintenance and/or construction of County roads and stormwater systems; to collect and transport solid waste and recyclables; to maintain assigned equipment; and to perform other work as required. This class works according to set procedures under close supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Regularly operates and performs skilled motorized equipment work in support of street maintenance/repair and stormwater drainage throughout the County; performs other general or specialized functions of the Public Works Department.
· Operates equipment such as single axle dump truck, rotary mower, riding mower, chipper, small backhoe, small trencher, tractor with attachments, roller, and related equipment at a fully proficient level.
· Ensures the safety of County equipment, private property and others by following proper safety procedures, watching for overhead power lines and checking for underground utilities; checks for traffic; sets out traffic cones and signs according to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD); and flags traffic as needed.
· Performs a variety of heavy manual labor, depending on area of assignment, such as: using a rake to spread asphalt or gravel; cutting out pavement with a shovel or jackhammer; cutting and clearing vegetation and debris; loading and unloading materials, supplies, or equipment; landscaping; trimming trees; clearing debris; laying blocks or brick; and performing various repair or construction projects.
· Mixes cement/concrete; performs concrete work as required.
· Transports equipment to work sites as needed.
· Performs general manual labor tasks as required.
· Uses hand and power tools in various manual tasks as required.
· Inspects equipment to ensure proper and safe working condition; reports defects or required maintenance to the supervisor.
· Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of assigned tools and equipment.
· Uses welding and cutting torches as needed in equipment maintenance.
· Assists as required during emergency jobs, after hours and in inclement weather conditions.
· Performs all duties in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations, and standards of quality and safety.
· Assists co-workers with various duties as required.
· Attends training, meetings, etc., as required, to enhance job knowledge and skills.
Performs other related job duties as assigned.
All County employees are considered public servants for the citizens of Dorchester County. When requested before, during, or after an emergency event, County employees are expected to work and serve the public in coping with the emergency.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED.
Requires at least one (1) year of related work experience.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Work is performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others.
Dorchester County has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position; typical work hours and days are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but employees must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and must work 40 hour each week to maintain full-time status. Employees must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays during emergencies or as requested. This is a safety sensitive position and employees holding this position have the responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others. This position is subject to random drug testing.
For more information on Dorchester County Government please view the information below:
Benefits for County Employees
County Employees may be eligible for a variety of State benefits associated with their employment. From a comprehensive health and dental insurance program, to generous annual and sick leave policies, to a solid and secure retirement system.
Dorchester County is a part of the State Benefits Program. The State program offers its employees a comprehensive health and dental program, along with a wide array of supplemental insurance programs. South Carolina has long been committed to providing its employees the best possible insurance benefits at the greatest possible value. We’ve maintained that commitment, too, even in the face of healthcare costs that continue to soar. You may refer to the link for more information.
In addition to our health and dental insurance programs, all county employees are a part of the South Carolina Retirement System. These programs are designed to help provide county employees secure retirement alternatives that will best meet their needs. You may refer to the link for more information.
In addition, county employees may be eligible for other benefits, such as holidays, annual leave, and sick leave.
Note: The above benefits are available to most county employees, with the exception of those in temporary positions. Employees in temporary grant and time-limited positions may be eligible for all, some, or none of these benefits based on the benefits associated with each position. For these positions, please contact the hiring agency to determine what benefits may be available for the particular position.
Expected salary: $33779 – 42223.67 per year
Location: Dorchester County, SC
Job date: Sat, 14 May 2022 07:53:53 GMT
Click Here To Apply