The Sunflower County Freedom Project (SCFP) is a community-based organization working with students and families in Sunflower County, Mississippi. We believe that education is the seed of freedom, and our mission is to empower young Mississippians by expanding their access to holistic, liberatory educational experiences that will ultimately help them realize their own power, achieve their personal goals, and position them to drive forward the change that they wish to see in their communities and the world.
Drawing inspiration from the Mississippi Freedom Schools of the 1960s, we offer year-round afterschool and summer programming for 6th-12th grade students (who we refer to as Freedom Fellows) focused on activism, identity development, academic support, arts enrichment, and educational travel.
The SCFP seeks an Executive Director who will work in partnership with the Board of Directors, current staff and Freedom Fellows, other Freedom Project Network affiliates, and community stakeholders to design and execute: a vision for programming that is aligned with our mission and values; a fundraising plan that creates sustained financial stability; and a strategy for overall organizational development and sustainability. Responsibilities will include:
Leadership of Programming and Operations
- Setting expectations for, and developing strategies to build, strong Freedom Fellow and staff culture; addressing culture breaches accordingly.
- Setting the vision for academic year and summer programming (e.g. class/club offerings, schedule, etc.).
- Designing and executing a Freedom Fellow recruitment and retention plan.
- Serving as the direct manager for all full- and part-time staff; facilitating weekly 1:1 and whole-group staff meetings.
- Managing all property (i.e. vehicle maintenance and building renovations).
- Participating in daily programming alongside Freedom Fellows and staff; filling in to facilitate programming as needed.
- Coordinating Freedom Fellow transportation to and from programming, special events, and trips; driving 15-passenger vans as needed.
Fundraising and Building Organizational Capacity
- Developing a fundraising plan that leverages existing funding sources and strategically cultivates new funding opportunities to hit an annual revenue target of $250,00.
- Researching and soliciting grants; developing and maintaining relationships with grantmakers through timely reporting and engagement around the SCFP’s mission.
- Planning and executing all other fundraising activities, including direct mail/e-mail campaigns and fundraising events.
- Designing, publishing, and distributing the SCFP’s annual LEAD Letter to donors and other key stakeholders.
- Developing and maintaining a system for tracking donor information that allows for compelling, strategic touchpoints.
- Managing all external communications for the SCFP (i.e. social media, email, and press communications).
- Setting the SCFP’s budget (in partnership with the Board); managing all expenses and financial bookkeeping.
- Planning and executing quarterly Board meetings; spearheading Board development efforts.
- Supporting and participating in Freedom Project Network-wide fundraising campaigns as requested by the Freedom Project Network’s Executive Director.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with local schools, businesses, and faith-based organizations to expand the SCFP’s reach in the community.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with the Freedom Project Network and other mission-aligned organizations to expand the SCFP’s reach across the state and region.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- A proven track record of successful project management and team leadership.
- Experience working at a small nonprofit, specifically focused on education. (strongly preferred)
- Experience leading a development program, including grant writing, individual giving campaigns, and fundraising events. (strongly preferred)
- Teaching and/or coaching experience. (strongly preferred)
ATTRIBUTES & SKILLS
- A fundamental belief that education is a powerful tool for liberation.
- A passion for youth mentorship and community-based work.
- A deep understanding of (or commitment to learning about) the history and current state of the educational, social, and political landscape in Mississippi.
- A natural leader who can set a vision and rally a team around it.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexible and comfortable working on a nontraditional schedule, including evenings and weekends.
The SCFP offers a compensation package that is commensurate with experience.
LEARN MORE AND APPLY:
Please visit our website to learn more about our work. The Sunflower County Freedom Project is an affiliate of the Freedom Project Network – a statewide collective of Freedom Project sites.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 – $52,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Bonus pay
- Are you available to work a nontraditional schedule (some nights, weekends, and overnight student travel)?
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Staff management: 2 years (Preferred)
- Database management: 1 year (Required)
- Fundraising: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location