Job title: Health Educator/Media Coordinator
Company: Vigo County
Job description: Health Educator/Media Coordinator
Incumbent serves as Health Educator/Media Coordinator for the Vigo County Health Department, responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating health education programs for Vigo County.
Examples of Duties
- Maintains current knowledge on health related topics and plans, develops, and implements health education programs and services in accordance with community needs and department goals and objectives.
- Participates in assessing the health needs of the community and coordinates prevention services and educational activities with other community health and social agencies.
- Provides educational information to the community and acts as a resource person with schools and the public, responding to questions on health related topics and providing appropriate research information and statistics.
- Prepares a variety of materials, reports, public service announcements, press releases, newsletters, and meeting agendas.
- Participates in various special events, such as health fairs and health education programs at area schools, workplaces, and community/social organizations.
- Maintains files and records of all activities, statistics, classes, and engagements.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local media to provide an outlet for public awareness and participates in television, radio, and newspaper interviews on various health related topics.
- Serves on committees to promote health awareness and participates in staff and professional training opportunities.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Baccalaureate Degree in public health, education, or related field with one to two years previous relevant work experience.
- Possession of or ability to obtain required certifications and trainings, including CPR Instructor certification, Hepatitis Information Instructor certification, National Incident Management System (NIMS) certification, Public Information Officer training and other trainings or certifications as required for public health programs/operations.
- Ability to meet all department hiring requirements, including passage of a drug test.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to make practical application of standard policies and practices of the Vigo County Health Department.
- Working knowledge of health program education and ability to effectively prepare and conduct environmental and wellness awareness educational activities and related materials for a wide variety of target groups.
- Working knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling and punctuation, and ability to prepare informational brochures/pamphlets, press releases, and detailed written reports.
- Thorough knowledge of database software, spreadsheet software, Powerpoint, and word processing software.
- Ability to properly operate standard office equipment, including computer, telephone, copier, fax machine, projector, IPAD, and laminator.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, other County departments, Indiana State Department of Health (ISD), community organizations, hospitals, schools, and the public, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities.
- Ability to provide public access to or maintain confidentiality of department information and records according to state requirements.
- Ability to comply with all employer and department policies and work rules, including, but not limited to, attendance, safety, drug-free workplace, and personal conduct.
- Ability to competently serve the public with diplomacy and respect, including occasional encounters with difficult persons.
- Ability to understand, memorize, retain, and carry out oral and written instructions and present findings in oral or written form.
- Ability to compile, compare, classify, analyze and evaluate data, and make determinations based on data analysis.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate decimals and percentages.
- Ability to work alone with minimum supervision and with others in a team environment, often amidst frequent distractions and interruptions, and on several tasks at the same time.
- Ability to apply knowledge of people and locations, plan/layout assigned work projects, and manage time and resources effectively.
- Ability to maintain positive public relations and plan/present public speaking presentations and special events.
- Ability to regularly work extended hours and/or evenings, occasionally work weekends, and occasionally travel out of town for meetings/conferences, sometimes overnight.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and demonstrated safe driving record.
Incumbent performs a broad range of duties which involve consideration of many variables, exercising independent judgment to effectively assess and evaluate community health education programs and services, develop and present programs and activities, and provide information and/or referrals as requested.
Incumbent assures proper implementation of community health education programs and services in compliance with departmental policies and procedures. Goals and objectives of incumbent’s work are known, with highly unusual circumstances and/or significant deviations from standards discussed with supervisor as needed. Work is primarily reviewed for attainment of objectives, effect on Department goals/objectives, and continuing quality of Health Department services for Vigo County. On rare occasions, incumbent makes decisions in the absence of specific policies and procedures, and/or guidance from supervisor.
Incumbent maintains frequent contact with co-workers, other County departments, ISDH, community organizations, schools, hospitals, and the public for purposes of maintaining cooperative work relationships, exchanging information, ideas, opinions, providing education/instruction, and counseling/advising/mentoring others.
Incumbent reports directly to Administrator.
Incumbent performs majority of duties in a standard office environment and in classrooms/educational settings, involving sitting/walking at will, sitting for long periods, reaching, bending, crouching/kneeling, lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling objects, close/far vision, color/depth perception, speaking clearly, hearing sounds/communication, keyboarding, handling/grasping/fingering objects, and driving. Incumbent maintains considerable contact with the public and may be exposed to difficult persons.
Incumbent regularly works extended hours and/or evenings, occasionally works weekends, and occasionally travels out of town for meetings/conferences, sometimes overnight.
Vigo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Expected salary: $39399 per year
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Job date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:51:31 GMT
Click Here To Apply