- Customer service
- EHR systems
- Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s degree
Under administrative supervision of the Practice Administrator, responsible for coordination of care between clients, clinic staff, and providers. The Patient Support Representative (PSR) is primarily responsible for the registration of patients, collection of copays/payments, and the coordination of support and logistical functions necessary for the effective and efficient delivery of services in the clinic. Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities, to include making recommendations for strategies to improve quality of care.
Education / Qualifications:
A four-year degree in a related service is preferred; equivalence 4+ years related experience; equivalence acceptance to be determined by supervisor. Should have the ability to work with clients and physicians from a variety of backgrounds and lifestyles while maintaining non-judgmental attitude. Team player and be able to multi-task. Possess excellent customer service skills. Able to make sound judgment based on the criteria outlined in the program.
Maintain current general medical knowledge. Participation in training opportunities to enhance knowledge such as conferences and continuing education/in-service events. Understand company and program policies and procedures as well as be aware of HopeHealth’s mission, vision and values. Provides the clients with consistent and reliable information Ability to work as part of a team and with the health care providers in a clinical setting. Honesty and genuine compassion for the individuals living with healthcare disparities. Ability and willingness to accept direction from supervisor. Good telephone skills. Comfort and diversity of our community. Must follow all regulations as outlined by HIPAA and be able to use good judgment regarding confidentiality issues. Should have knowledge of basic software applications to include Microsoft Office. Ability to communicate effectively utilizing both oral and written means.
Essential job functions:
Under the direct supervision of the Practice Administrator, incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Verifies all information in electronic health records. Updates patient information and notes any exceptions in system. Ensures that all demographic, income and insurance information is correct; assigned primary care provider is listed correctly; and sliding fee discount, if applicable, is up-to-date and complete, including required documentation.
- Scans insurance card when patient is checked in and collects payment for co-pay and/or outstanding balance.
- Meets with patients to verify income for sliding fee discount when patient has no third party coverage.
- Verifies patient balances. Works with patient to implement a payment plan when necessary.
- Maintains a petty cash account. Runs daily report to reconcile all payments accepted throughout the day..
- Assists provider with the gathering of appropriate information in the evaluation and treatment of clients to include new patient intakes, obtaining lab results, medical records, communicating with pharmacists and other physicians’ office personnel, managing/maintaining records.
- Ability to advocate for the client by bringing concerns about the services to the attention of the clinical staff, provider, supervisor or other management. Maintains a relationship with the client that fosters trust and understanding.
- Faxing of records/authorizations in a timely manner.
- Serves as a role model for quality customer service and provides reliable information.
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities, to include making recommendations for strategies to improve quality of care.
- Responds to phone calls in a respectful and timely manner. Keep work areas neat and tidy.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by Practice Administrator.
Competencies: Ability to take initiative and handle various tasks simultaneously while working efficiently, effectively, and independently under minimal supervision. Knowledge of adult learning principles and community resources. Knowledge of policies, standards, regulations, and protocols. Knowledge of databases and electronic health record (EHR) system.
Physical Requirements: Must have direct client contact in order to provide program activities. Must be willing to lift 30+pounds. Sitting, stooping, squatting, standing for long periods on a computer is expected.