With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to more than 14 million people in 24 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to make sure we keep their lives flowing.
Our teams are committed to customer service, operational excellence and delivering high-quality, reliable drinking water and other water-related management services.
Our primary business involves the ownership of water and wastewater utilities that provide water and wastewater services to residential, commercial and industrial customers, treating and delivering more than 1 billion gallons of water per day.
Actively involved in or makes process control decisions associated with the operation and maintenance of water purification systems and related wastewater processes.Key Accountabilities
- General housekeeping
- Perform call-out for overtime work
- Remote monitoring of other water and wastewater systems
- Perform work in caisson (confined space)
- Operates, maintains, controls and performs routine repair of plant equipment including preventive maintenance duties.
- Establishes, maintains and controls flow through the water treatment process and into and within the distribution system.
- Maintains process control through the water treatment and wastewater processes including the establishment, maintenance, calibration and adjustment of chemical feed rates necessary to optimize the process operation.
- Monitors the water treatment plant and water distribution system and makes adjustments as necessary to control their operation.
- Maintains all necessary records.
- Performs water quality sampling, testing and analysis to determine compliance with federal, state and PAWC’s standards.
- Loads, unloads, handles, batches, and places water treatment plant chemicals into storage.
- Operates and maintains raw water facilities including reservoir supply, transmission and pumping facilities.
- Performs general maintenance duties at water treatment plant and related facilities and other assigned duties.Knowledge/Skills
- Attention to detail
- Self Motivated; able to take initiative
- Communication skills
- Computer and math skills
- Working knowledge of basic mechanical and automated control systems.
- Knowledge of water treatment processes, basic scientific concepts, water quality standards, and regulation and company procedures.Experience/Education
- Water treatment plant experience preferred
- GED/High School graduate or state recognized education equivalency certificate.
- College course work and/or degree in biology, chemistry, environmental science or engineering curriculum are desired.
- Continuing education as needed for Operator certification renewal.
- DEP Water Class A license preferredWork Environment
- Environmental conditions including contact with water, chemicals, fumes, odors and dust as a result of working with and handling potentially hazardous water treatment and laboratory chemicals.
- Minimum exposure to inclement weather mostly of short durationShift/Hours
- Rotating swing shift (7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am)Other
- Valid driver’s licenseCompetenciesChampions safetyCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer obsessedDrives ResultsNimble learning
Pennsylvania American Water is seeking a detail-oriented and self-motivated Plant Operator to join our team in Wampum, PA. As the Operator at our Ellwood surface water treatment plant, you will be responsible for communicating effectively with other operators, lab testing, checking equipment and taking care of chemical shipments.