Do you love language and grammar? Are you fanatically detail-oriented? Do you have fish named Merriam and Webster? Are you reading this posting hoping you’ll spot a typo, error, or style inconsistency?
If so, please consider joining the Editorial Copy Desk within Vanguard’s Participant Strategy Experience group as a proofreader. Whether you have editorial experience or want to gain some, this is a great opportunity for someone looking to start their editorial career at Vanguard.
In this role, you’ll make sure that the communications we send to retirement plan participants are error-free. You’ll collaborate with writers, editors, communications consultants, designers, and the copy desk manager to keep our high volumes of communications correct and moving.
Please note that this is a hybrid position; you’ll work onsite in our Malvern, PA office Tuesday–Thursday, and may work remotely Monday and Friday.
Successful candidates will:
- Have a love for, and demonstrated understanding of, grammar.
- Have superb attention to detail.
- Possess the ability to handle large volumes of work with tight deadlines.
- Be able to determine and shift priorities to accommodate “rush” requests.
- Have experience in handling multiple projects simultaneously and meeting deadlines.
- Evaluates copy for Vanguard style, accuracy, and format.
- Checks facts and verifies that changes and corrections made by others are successfully implemented in the final version of print and electronic materials.
- Provides written and oral feedback to writers and other communications crew.
- Ensures that proper regulatory hedge clauses and copyright marks appear on each piece.
- Maintains a working knowledge of Vanguard funds, Vanguard products and services, the financial markets, and investment planning issues.
- Assumes leadership responsibilities for coaching and training new members of the group and serving as a resource for style issues and questions.
- Coordinates proofreading reviews among communications crew for large or ongoing projects as needed.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum two years related work experience.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process – please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.