University of Mississippi Medical Center
Job title: RN II-Oncology RN – Children’s Cancer Clinic
Company: University of Mississippi Medical Center
Job description: Hello,
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Please review the following instructions prior to submitting your job application:
- Provide all of your employment history, education, and licenses/certifications/registrations. You will be unable to modify your application after you have submitted it.
- You must meet all of the job requirements at the time of submitting the application.
- You can only apply one time to a job requisition.
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
After you apply, we will review your qualifications and contact you if your application is among the most highly qualified. Due to the large volume of applications, we are unable to individually respond to all applicants. You may check the status of your application via your Candidate Profile.
Important Applications Instructions:
Please complete this application in entirety by providing all of your work experience, education and certifications/
license. You will be unable to edit/add/change your application once it is submitted.
Job Requisition ID: R00027638
Job Category: Health System
Organization: Children’s Ambulatory Cancer Clinic
Location/s: Main Campus Jackson
Job Title: RN II-Oncology RN – Children’s Cancer Clinic
Job Summary: To assess, develop, implement, and evaluate the nursing care and treatment for patients in assigned oncology clinical area. Coordinates the operations of assigned clinical area including protocol and non-protocol chemotherapy regimens, calculating dosages and administering intravenous chemotherapy, patient scheduling, patient records, and patient admission for adult cancer patients. Counsels patients and family members on treatment, medication management, and condition status. Serves as a liaison between case manager, home health nurses, dietary, utilization review, and other hospital staff as needed. To assist physician and/or investigator in collecting data for research and clinical trials. To assess and educate based on patients psychological and physiological need.
Education & Experience
Must be licensed as RN for one (1) year. Two (2) years of RN experience in specified area preferred. BSN preferred.
Certifications, Licenses or Registration required: Valid RN license, oncology certified nurse (OCN) preferred. Must be oncology certified nurse (OCN) within two years of employment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of clinical nursing care procedures and protocols. Solid knowledge base in oncology procedures. Verbal and written communication skills. Interpersonal skills. Knowledge and understanding of computer systems, tools and programs. Ability to work in a team environment.
- In collaboration with the oncologist provides direct patient care, initial and ongoing assessment, patient education, management of chemotherapy effects, medicine reconciliation, and coordination of care of patients enrolled in protocols and clinical trials.
- Assesses and documents an evaluation of each patient’s physical, social and emotional status as part of the outpatient admissions process to the cancer center protocols. Makes appropriate referrals for social work and financial assistance counselors for patient and families undergoing oncology treatment.
- Monitors the patient response before and after the procedure and makes technical and medication changes as appropriate. Reviews physician orders, determines general physical & mental condition of patient through observations or review and ensures that all daily operations of oncology adhere to oncology protocol. Maintains up to date knowledge of each chemotherapy protocol used in the cancer institute and participates in the weekly tumor conference and reviews IRB protocols approved prior to administering any chemotherapy.
- Monitors and maintains associated equipment. Assists in maintaining a safe, organized, and clean work environment.
- Formulates and monitors a treatment plan for each patient to include the educational needs of patient. Administers chemotherapy drugs in accordance with physician orders, protocol and non-protocol guide lines for lab values, and the status of the patient’s physical and mental condition.
- Maintains an effective channel of communications and informs other team members of any unusual occurrences. Facilitates an open line of communication with health team members and other staff to ensure optimum team performance.
- Instruct patient though all phases of treatment per physician’/oncologist order.
- Serves on at least one nursing council, hospital, or medical center committee, task force, or project team to improve patient care or work area demonstrates core standards of exceptional customer service.
- Maintains quality assurance checklist completion, and monitors all nursing checklists. Responsible for impact scheduling, nursing assessments, clinical notes, and billing responsibilities.
- Responsible for inventory management and TJC compliance duties.
- The duties listed are general in nature and are examples of the duties and responsibilities performed and are not meant to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Physical and Environmental Demands
Requires occasional exposure to unpleasant or disagreeable physical environment such as high noise level and exposure to heat and cold, occasional handling or working with potentially dangerous equipment, constant exposure to bio hazardous conditions such as risk of radiation exposure, blood borne pathogens, fumes or airborne particles, and/or toxic or caustic chemicals which mandate attention to safety considerations, occasional working hours significantly beyond regularly scheduled hours, occasional travelling to offsite locations, frequent activities subject to significant volume changes of a seasonal/clinical nature, frequent work produced subject to precise measures of quantity and quality, frequent bending, constant lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds, occasional climbing, occasional crawling, constant crouching/stooping, occasional driving, constant kneeling, constant pushing/pulling, constant reaching, occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional twisting, and constant walking. (occasional-up to 20%, frequent-from 21% to 50%, constant-51% or more)
Time Type: Full time
FLSA Designation/Job Exempt: No
Pay Class: Hourly
FTE %: 100
Job Posting Date: 03/6/2023
Job Closing Date (open until filled if no date specified):
Location: Jackson, MS
Job date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 08:17:04 GMT
Click Here To Apply