Job title: Senior Counsel
Company: Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh
Job description: Description:
The Senior Counsel will help guide the day-to-day operations of the Legal Department, overseeing staff and acting as the senior attorney of the URA. The Senior Counsel reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for legal services, and operational support, to the URA and its affiliates. The Senior Counsel supervises all other counsel, paralegals, and support staff in the Legal Department. The Senior Counsel assigns tasks to staff, plans and researches legal matters, and negotiates and drafts various documents for transactional matters. The Senior Counsel also retains and supervises outside counsel as needed and is responsible for approving and managing all outside counsel that may be used by the URA. An ideal Senior Counsel will be passionate, thoughtful, innovative, willing to work collaboratively, actively seek process improvement strategies, and will have experience structuring and negotiating equitable development transactions.
Job Title: Senior Counsel
Reports to: Executive Director
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt legal and strategic advice to the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and Board of the URA.
- Supervises other counsel, paralegals, and support staff.
- Coordinates and/or directly provides legal advice and services to all departments of the URA.
- Manages real estate transactions and seeks process improvements while maintaining compliance with the URA’s enabling legislation.
- Seeks process improvement strategies for the Legal Department.
- Manages outside counsel and the outside counsel budget for the organization.
- Manages transactional relationships with City of Pittsburgh Legal and Finance Departments.
- Supervises and oversees litigation on behalf of the URA, and actively represents the URA in litigation as appropriate.
- Coordinates and/or directly provides research and support to the URA in all its legal affairs including, but not limited to, land use, environmental, housing, finance, contracts and other matters.
- Reviews rules, policies, plans and forms prepared by other authorities or City departments for compliance with applicable laws.
- Researches legal issues and prepares memoranda and correspondence.
- Maintains and develops expertise regarding statutes, regulations, and court decisions affecting the URA.
- Drafts and implements rules, regulations, policies, and procedures applicable to the URA.
- Ensures that employment law and human resources best practices are observed.
- Represents the URA regarding legal issues before its Board of Directors and other bodies.
- Provides legal training to URA staff
- Drafts and oversees budgets, performance reviews, and all other aspects of managing the Legal Department.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with elected officials, all levels of URA management, other elected and appointed governmental officials, consultants, contractors, developers, vendors, employees, media representatives and the public.
- Presents proposals and recommendations clearly, logically, and persuasively in all contexts.
- Plans, monitors, and evaluates the work of all Legal Department staff.
- Exercises tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex, and confidential issues and situations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- The Senior Counsel must have a Juris Doctorate degree.
- The Senior Counsel must: (i) have an active license to practice law in Pennsylvania, (ii) have passed the Pennsylvania Bar Exam, and (iii) have at least four (4) years’ experience in a large firm or corporate governmental in-house environment and one (1) year of experience supervising attorneys and other legal staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Experience providing high-level strategic legal advice and support to clients in commercial transactions and/or disputes.
- Strong knowledge of Pennsylvania and federal law related to real estate development and commercial transactions.
- Substantive experience researching and applying Commonwealth of Pennsylvania laws, codes, regulations and court decisions as they affect the URA.
- Experience negotiating and drafting documents for complex commercial transactions preferred.
- Experience with creditors’ rights.
- Knowledge of employment law and human resources best practices.
- Strong experience in negotiating complex transactions in a variety of contexts, including, but not limited to, litigation, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, lending, complex financial structures, etc.
- Experience drafting pleadings, transactional documents, letters, memoranda, etc.
- Consistent ability to exercise sound, expert, and independent judgement.
Competencies (Reference URA Competency Library Version 1.0):
- Promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Developing Talent
- Establishing Focus
- Providing Motivational Support
- Fostering Teamwork
- Empowering Others
- Managing Change
- Managing Performance
- Attention to Communication
- Influencing Others
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Expertise
- Taking Initiative
- Fostering Innovation
- Self Confidence
- Stress Management
- Personal Credibility
- Oral Communication
- Persuasive Communication
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20lbs., standing, sitting, reaching and stretching.
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone.
The URA is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual origination, political, and/or union affiliation.
AN EMPLOYEE MUST BE A CITY OF PITTSBURGH RESIDENT, OR BECOME ONE AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT AT THE URA. Requirements:
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 07:46:50 GMT
Click Here To Apply