Job title: Senior Process Control Engineer
Company: Clearwater Paper
Job description: Description :
Where you will work
The Cypress Bend facility is located in the historic Mississipi River Delta and produces bleached paperboard and bleached Kraft pulp, used in the production of folding cartons, commercial print paperboard, carded packaging, and cupstock. This facility boasts over 300 talented employees and stretches across 730 acres. Clearwater Paper employees are proud to manufacture a high-quality product for an essential industry.
Cypress Bend is a rural community with close access to the Mississippi River. This is a wonderful location for those who love the outdoors and offers plenty of activities including fishing, hiking, camping, and biking. The Cypress Bend area also offers several opportunities for social and civic involvement including the McGehee Hospital, McGehee Boys & Girls Club, Food Pantry, Chamber of Commerce, Arkansas City Food Pantry, Paws and Claws Humane Society, and the Polite Foundation. Cypress Bend emphasizes exposure to the arts including the WWII Japanese Internment Museum, Desha County Museum, and SEArk Concert Association. Cypress Bend is in close proximity to McGehee, Monticello, and Drew Central public schools as well as UAM McGehee College of Technology and WAM Crossett College of Technology.
What you will do
The Senior Process Control Engineer is critical to the success of the Clearwater paper business and holds a variety of responsibilities for our mills.
Process Control System and Performance Integrity
- Maintain integrity and performance of systems, process controls, plant historian, and networks.
- Respond to calls for control system hardware malfunctions and repair those malfunctions, including control system processors, control system i/o subsystems, and Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems.
- Respond to calls for control system software problems and repair those problems including loop configuration, graphics configuration, and timing issues.
- Respond to calls for network infrastructure problems and repair those problems, including problems with switches, fiber optic converters, cabling, and power distribution.
- Proactively monitor network performance and alleviate if bandwidth or network loading issues are found.
- Replace operator stations, servers, monitors, or other hardware that fails.
- Maintain adequate processor loading and slippage.
- Tune loops.
- Add and modify data history collection parameters to optimize information available vs space requirements.
- Plan and implement timely upgrades and maintenance.
- Test bandwidth and network loading.
Manage Equipment and Vendors
- Support the efforts of other engineers, sub-contractors, bargaining unit personnel, and temporary workers to accomplish the necessary control systems work.
- Purchase required equipment
- Assist in the development of implementation plans for the installation of equipment.
- Monitor vendor and employee implementation.
- Supervise testing of installed equipment to guarantee adequate performance.
- Evaluate vendor implementation plans for the installation of equipment.
- Evaluate vendor proposals.
- Obtain price quotes for equipment.
- Generate JD Edwards purchase orders.
Design, implement, and/or program DCS/PLC and other control systems
- Design, implement and/or program DCS/PLC and other control systems.
- Develop and implement new additions or enhancements to process control systems within systems standards.
- Add loops for new instruments in Honeywell TDC3000 and Honeywell Experion PKS as applicable.
- Add new loops in Honeywell Systems.
- Add and modify PLC ladder logic for Allen Bradley systems.
- Configure OPC servers for cross-system communication.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and monitoring of security systems.
- Solicit proposals for upgrades or migrations from out-of-date or poorly functioning systems.
- Create and implement advanced process control systems (APC).
- Evaluate advanced process control proposals.
- Configure historical collection systems.
- Add advanced control to existing loops.
- Create a simulation system for testing control systems.
- Test implementations to guarantee adequate performance.
- Design and implement interfaces between various systems.
Perform system administrator functions
- Back up the Honeywell database and verify restore.
- Design and implement backup servers for mission-critical roles.
- Install Windows and operating systems.
- Update software versions for Honeywell TDC3000 and Honeywell Experion PKS, including updating servers, workstations, and operator stations.
- Install patches on Windows servers.
Develop standards and procedures
- Develops standards and procedures to perform various functions on systems and review the work of engineers, vendors, and contractors for compliance with and adherence to standards
- Develop interlock standards.
- Verify compliance with interlock standards.
- Leverage tag naming and wire labeling standards, and optimize as needed.
- Verify compliance with tag naming and wire labeling standards.
- Develop graphics and module creation standards.
- Verify compliance with Graphics standards.
- Verify compliance with module creation standards.
- Train others in proper, effective use, maintenance, and troubleshooting of systems and networks
- Determine and attend relevant training to advance personal knowledge in subject areas to benefit process control and optimization.
- Determine training needs and schedule training classes for employees.
- Train hourly employees in the use of Allen Bradley, Honeywell TDC3000, and Honeywell Experion PKS configuration and diagnostic software if applicable.
- Train hourly employees to find the root cause of control system problems.
- Work with vendors in the training of instrument mechanics in the use of AMS.
What you will need
To be successful in this position, we are looking for candidates with the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemical or electrical engineering or a related field in engineering (required)
- Five (5) + years of relevant process control systems experience (required)
- Five (5) + years of operational experience (required)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- AutoCAD experience (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with vendors, managers, and production employees to achieve goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be capable of understanding and troubleshooting complex industrial systems and equipment
- Understanding of LEAN manufacturing and Continuous Improvement (CI) concepts (preferred)
- Excellent planning and organization skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with other levels within the organization to influence change
- Able to work in a high-speed manufacturing environment, sustained exposure to high-frequency noises, multiple hours standing, walking on concrete surfaces
- Personal Protective Equipment is required in the mill environment.
- Dirt, noise, odor, and temperature extremes.
- Climbing stairs, ladders, and scaffolding
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals used in the manufacturing process
Current Systems Include:
- Honeywell TPS including Logic Managers
- Honeywell Experion
- Allen-Bradley Control Logix
- Allen-Bradly Compact Logix
- Allen-Bradly Asset Center
Interested in learning more about career opportunities at Cypress Bend, Arkansas?
Location: Arkansas City, AR
Job date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 07:26:00 GMT
Click Here To Apply