Job title: Special Programs and Events Manager
Company: City of Lancaster (PA)
Job description: Primary Functions and Job Details
This position manages, plans, develops and executes the City of Lancaster’s major events and manages special event permitting. The position enhances the Lancaster experience through program development and assists local groups and individuals with the special events permitting process.
Examples Of Essential Duties
- Coordinates logistics of annual events produced by the City of Lancaster Office of Promotion in partnership with Welcome Center Manger which includes, but are not limited to, First Fridays, Music Fridays, Red Rose Run, Celebrate Lancaster, and Downtown Lancaster for the Holidays. Responsibilities include contracting with entertainment, managing vendors, developing layout of the events and serves as lead staff person present to supervise volunteers and direct other City services on the day of the events.
- Collaborate with the LOOP team to increase community programming by utilizing public art, promotion of small business, and residential engagement ultimately increasing the tourism and resident experience.
- Collaborate with Welcome Center manager to activate the facility through increased engagement programming
- Work in partnership with Director and Welcome Center Manager on strategic development of the permitting process and the future of event programming.
- Coordinates logistics of programs and special events.
- Estimates costs, distance, quantities, resources, and materials needed.
- Works with staff on the marketing and promotion of programs and special events.
- Maintains up-to-date vendor, entertainment, volunteer and program and special event resource files and databases.
- Assists local groups and individuals with special event development and staging.
- Representative on various organizations’ program or event planning committees.
- Oversees the recruitment and management of volunteers for LOOP events.
- Represents LOOP to provide support and guidance for LOOP co-sponsored special events.
- Serves as LOOP representative on City’s Employee Recognition Committee.
- Serves as the managing point of contact for permits related to Penn Square, block parties and permits related to special events.
- Coordinates monthly special event permit team meetings to review event proposals
- Manages event budgets in excess of $150,000
- Connects special event hosts with members of the Special Events Permit Team to review event plans.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Event Management, Hospitality Management, Marketing, Communications or related applicable field or the equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Two to five years experience in management of special events or project management is desirable.
Licenses and Certificates
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License is required.
- Exposed to inclement weather and extreme temperature, including long periods of standing outdoors.
- Works outdoors and indoors with, or without, heat and/or air conditioning.
- Exposure to noise and pollution.
Safety Equipment Used or Needed
- Requires ability to work in the evenings, weekends and holidays as instructed.
- Requires ability to work long hours.
- This description was prepared to indicate the kinds of activities and levels of work difficulty required of positions in this class. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of safe practices in special events.
- Knowledge of business and management principles in involved in planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of administrative and office procedures and managing files and records.
- Knowledge of business mathematics.
- Skill in developing goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish work.
- Proven knowledge, understanding and use of Microsoft (or similar) suite of tools (Windows, Word and Excel) and familiarity with e-mail and the Internet.
- Computer literate with a knowledge of event booking and diagramming systems
- Proven ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English.
- Ability to establish, develop, and maintain good working relationships with clients, sponsors, and staff members
- Ability to prepare and present comprehensive written and oral reports and speeches.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects with attention to detail in completing work tasks.
- Ability to manage logistics of special events.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and diverse environment.
- Ability to manage own time and the time of others.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Ability to deal calmly and effectively in high stress situations.
- Ability to supervise temporary workers and volunteers.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and to collaborate successfully with others.
- Proven ability to adapt to new or changed situations and to show flexibility in making improvements in work processes and operations.
- Proven ability to exhibit customer-centered behaviors and to focus on customer needs.
- Proven ability to commit to excellence in service and to continuous improvement.
- Strong leadership, analytical, project management, organizational, business continuity, communications, and executive decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and implement innovative solutions from routine to complex operational and management problems in the areas of Special Events.
Expected salary: $43992 – 57179.2 per year
Location: Lancaster, PA
Job date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 06:33:55 GMT
Click Here To Apply