Summary: The SBA Underwriter works within the SBA Lending department and is be responsible for underwriting new and existing customers, analyzing financial statements, collaboration with banking partners and making loan decisions on SBA Banking customers. The SBA Underwriter would be required to manage a pipeline of new credit requests, which includes underwriting and decisioning loan files.
Expected Outcomes: The purpose of the SBA Underwriter role is to ensure the bank is booking acceptable loans with acceptable risk profiles based on the bank’s credit policy. The SBA Underwriter is expected to make credit decisions within their credit authority and recommend decisions on deals going through loan committee.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fully underwrite new and existing customers for the bank’s SBA Loan Portfolio.
- Complete all new loan underwriting in a timely manner to meet client expectations.
- Provide updates to Chief Credit Officer and Senior Credit Officer on a regular basis on trends or deals in progress.
- Work as a team player and be considerate of customers, co-workers, and vendors.
- Interact with clients and Account Officers regarding current and exiting customers.
- Risk rate deals which require rating based on knowledge of the customer.
- Other duties as determined to ensure the Underwriting meets the bank’s risk standards.
- Prior Underwriting experience for Business Banking or SBA lending preferred.
- Knowledge of SBA and various governmental agencies reporting requirements and regulations preferred.
- Proficiency using MS Excel, Word, and Outlook required.
- Strong attention to detail, along with organizational skills required.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Requires problem solving skills as well as the initiative to troubleshoot and find resolutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills needed.
All employees are expected to contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing requested duties regardless of explicit inclusion in the job description or reasonable relation to an employee’s primary role. Additionally, all employees must understand and adhere to all federal and state laws and banking regulations and company policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities, including compliance as appropriate under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
Additionally, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following Core Competencies:
Professionalism – acting with responsibility, integrity and accountability; demonstrating consistent trustworthiness and reliability; always remaining flexible, adaptable and willing to accept coaching; building and managing professionally healthy relationships; deliberately managing career decisions; and continually developing awareness of business-related topics.
Communication – understanding various active and passive tools and styles and their effects; and exhibiting appropriate, effective, timely use of tools and styles to connect, collaborate, facilitate teamwork and serve customers.
Work Quality – demonstrating an ongoing commitment to compliance, safety and security; executing work with efficiency, a sense of urgency and attention to detail; and displaying organized work practices and a results-oriented mindset.
Analytical Ability – navigating work-related circumstances with practical, sound reasoning; and demonstrating creativity in problem solving.
Leadership – displaying good judgment and certainty in decision making; taking initiative with job-related demands; demonstrating innovative thinking and sound planning with business practices; managing individual performance toward shared organizational goals; and thinking strategically to set and accomplish goals.
Merchants Bancorp and its affiliates and subsidiaries are committed to being equal opportunity employers. All job candidates and incumbents will be assessed based on only criteria relevant to successfully performing the job as defined in this job description and as generally accepted in the job’s relevant industries.